Powerful facilitation is all about finding your own unique style and being yourself in front of a group, thereby encouraging others to authentically bring forward all of what they have to offer. At its core, it is about being deeply present. Each group, each situation calls for something different and the best facilitators know how to listen for, and serve this emerging truth.
This facilitation course offers 2 days of intensive training based on Anima Leadership’s trademark process and is part of the Authentic Leadership Series. Registration information is below.
Day One is a dive into foundational facilitation skills, tips and best practices grounded in a theoretical framework pulling from fields of neuroscience, group psychology, systems change and equity. Topics explored include being present, directing group energy, handling group differences, and how to let the process unfold without controlling it. Group learning styles and process theory, emotional intelligence research and mindfulness techniques are also covered. Day One is all about learning to facilitate with presence and ease, accessing all of ourselves in the role.
~Domenico Calla, Toronto Public Health
Day Two addresses what to do when differences emerge in groups leading to conflictual situations. Many of us tend to contract, to take one side over another, to want to control or direct group response when this happens. How do we stay open to the transformational learning possible, to stay on the side of the whole? We start with our own conflict triggers then move into different frameworks and techniques for anticipating, analyzing and dealing with conflict. As well, we’ll more deeply explore levels of awareness: on a cognitive level, being aware of various viewpoints on an issue and also differences in power, privilege and rank in a group; on an emotional level, being able to track what people are feeling and needing; and on an essence level, being able to sense what the emerging truth is that will allow for transformation and growth. Allowing group intelligence to emerge depends on our ability as facilitators to sit in the fire of conflict.
~Weiwei Su, Sr Manager, Engineers Without Borders Canada
In this two-day training you will learn how to:
- Develop personal mastery: a deeper sense of your own facilitation style with its strengths and edges for growth;
- Practice deep listening and other techniques to more accurately notice the mood of the group and what is called for;
- Become more comfortable with differences of opinion and disagreements in a group;
- Learn how to create a strong container in which people can bravely step into difficult conversations;
- Explore personal conflict style and how to manage your own triggers in a group;
- Learn signs of escalation, how to identify group conflict stages and responses to common conflictual situations that happen in groups;
- Handle conflict hot spots when they emerge in a room;
- Practice sustainability for yourself and prevent burnout in the facilitation role;
~Drew McNaughton, Superintendent of Education, YRDSB
~Catherine Fitzgerald, Medical Oncologist
Date: May 13-14th 2020, Toronto
Location: Centre for Social Innovation, 720 Bathurst St.; Toronto, ON; The Garage
Fee: Early Bird Fee: $550 plus HST. Regular Fee: $600 plus HST including snacks and materials.* (20% of our slots are sliding scale. Please enquire) Please note that there are also invoice and payment by cheque options.
Course Leader: Annahid Dashtgard, Senior Partner
Contact: Info@AnimaLeadership.com or (416) 516-8728
Anima Cancellation Policy:
- 30 days or more prior to course: we offer a refund, minus a $100 administration fee.
- Less than 30 days prior to course: we offer 50% credit towards next scheduled training, minus a $100 administration fee.
- Day of, or day prior to, course: no refund or credit available.If you are unexpectedly unable to make the course, contact us about potentially sending a colleague in your place.