Decoding Race for White Leaders – Creating Cultures of Belonging
Dates: Webinars are April 27 and 29, 2021 from 10:30am – 1:30pm EST.
Registration Deadline: April 20, 2021
A 2019 Catalyst Study of Canadian workplaces revealed:
- 77% of people of colour shared harrowing experiences of exclusion and being on guard in the workplace;
- 50-70% of Black, East Asian, and South Asian professionals highly on guard had a high intent to quit;
- 22-42% of Black, East Asian, and South Asian professionals highly on guard reported difficulties with sleep and other health problems (Empowering Workplaces Combat Emotional Tax for People of Colour in Canada, Catalyst)
In an increasingly diverse landscape, with economic growth reliant on increasing immigration, organizations of all kinds are recognizing the importance of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. And yet as teams become more racially diverse, new kinds of challenges arise. Most people in senior leadership positions still remain predominantly white, and have had little opportunity to reflect on the impact of their racial identity – and whiteness in general – on employees in the workplace. Many leaders are aware of harassment and discrimination policies, but are less conscious of the subtle ways individual racial bias and institutional power dynamics (power, etc.) get in the way of building strong and inclusive teams that respect, celebrate and learn from difference. Many well-meaning leaders want to be inclusive, but often don’t know where to start. Mistakes get made even by the most experienced managers, and can lead to feelings of defensiveness, guilt, anger, fear, or impatience that simply compound those mistakes, and further alienate people of colour in the workplace.
In a comfortable, open learning environment, this course will help white leaders investigate their own racial identity and the attendant unspoken assumptions and behaviours brought into the workplace. You will be guided to lead from a place of self-awareness around race, recognizing the importance of taking an intersectional approach to identity, while also being able to step into your power in constructive ways that promote relationship building and create authentic cultures of belonging.
In this session you will:
- Explore how emotions and bias inform and impact our treatment of racial minorities;
- Develop an understanding of whiteness and how it plays out in the workplace, including microaggressions, fragility, and privilege;
- Identify your own emotional reactions when dealing with difficult conversations about race – and how to be more skillful in having these conversations;
- Understand some common and subtle ways that systemic racism shows up in workplaces and teams;
- Develop your capacity to step into power in equitable and transparent ways;
- Learn about some common mistakes that white leaders make and explore ways to address those mistakes;
- Learn where feedback often goes wrong, and practice giving feedback to employees based on performance, not based on bias;
- A chance to share and get feedback on difficult challenges and moments you struggle with as a white leader;
- Build your capacity to encourage everyone in the workplace to take risks and intervene in inequitable situations.
Decoding Race for White Leaders: Creating Cultures of Belonging
Dates: Webinars are April 27th and 29th, 2021 from 10:30am – 1:30pm Eastern Standard Time.
Registration Deadline: April 20, 2021
Location: Online Course hosted through the Anima LMS (you will be sent a link prior to the course start date).
Fee: $300 USD ($390 CAD tax included). We keep 10% of spots open for a sliding scale. Please contact us for this option.
Contact: Info@AnimaLeadership.com or (416) 516-8728
Anima Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds for online courses, however we will offer 50% credit toward any other online courses.