Deep Diversity – Leadership Skills for Inclusive Workplaces
Summer 2021 – REGISTRATION OPEN
Dates: Webinars are August 24, 25, 26 and 27, 2021 from 1:00-4:00pm EST.
Deadline to Register: August 17, 2021
For any organization or school that wants to stay relevant and productive, creating a functionally diverse and inclusive workplace is a must. Understanding how systemic discrimination threatens fairness and morale in both overt and subtle ways is critical to such initiatives. This award-winning training process will develop key leadership knowledge and skills to support workplace inclusion and equity, as outlined in Shakil Choudhury’s book, Deep Diversity: Overcoming Us vs. Them.
Leadership Skills: Although developing “diversity champions” within organizations is a recognized best practice for advancing inclusion strategies, there is less understanding of the leadership competencies required for such a challenging task. We will explore leadership as an inside-out process, that inner skills—including self-awareness, empathy, and bias management—are essential in nurturing workplace diversity and inclusion.
Knowledge Development: Deep Diversity® is a framework that helps examine how four key factors—bias, tribes, emotions and power—play invisible, yet significant roles in our dynamics with those who we perceive to be different than us. To really work through issues of difference and foster greater levels of fairness and inclusion within organizations, it is critical to understand the human mind—its conscious and unconscious dimensions. We will investigate these ideas and link them with Deep Diversity®, a practical and evidence-based lens that can be used to enhance our understanding of systemic discrimination based on gender and race.
Measurement Tools: Anima Leadership has surveyed the latest smart practices research on recruitment, retention and advancement in order to develop unique diversity instruments for measuring inclusion in the workplace. Assess where your organization is at and where it wants to go using the Deep Diversity® Inclusive Workplace Continuum: Organizational Practices.
You will learn:
- Leadership competencies for Diversity Champions including emotional intelligence, mindfulness and authentic connection;
- How to apply the Deep Diversity® framework to help uncover systemic discrimination within organizations with regards to race/ethnicity specifically, and social identity broadly;
- How unconscious bias results in blind spots within individuals and organizations and the importance of developing bias detection and reduction skills;
- What gets in the way of establishing a diverse organization that is inclusive of all people, regardless of identity or background;
This training is ideal for:
- Diversity champions looking for concrete skills and tools to further diversity and inclusion efforts;
- Staffing, recruitment and general HR professionals who want a deeper understanding of how to create a more inclusive work environment to attract and retain the best people;
- Managers and administrators who want to learn skills and practices to ensure their staff are treated equitably and feel valued;
- Organizational and school leaders looking for a comprehensive and effective approach to developing and measuring diversity and inclusion efforts;
- Educators, trainers and facilitators who are weary of dogmatic approaches to diversity and inclusion and want to be more effective when tackling issues of power, privilege and equity.
Four online modules each include a video lecture component, interactive webinar and course handouts. You will be asked to complete an end-of-course assessment to receive your course badge. The four online modules include:
- Emotions. Most people know that managing our emotions is important, especially in the workplace. But most of us underestimate the invisible yet controlling role emotions play in human interactions, especially with those we perceive to be different than ourselves.
- Bias. This session defines implicit bias and the invisible role it plays in relationship with others including micro-inequities and unconscious preferences.
- Identity. The human need to belong creates “tribes” or in-groups and out-groups based on social identity. We will explore positive and negative tendencies associated with tribes in the workplace and society, in order to be more inclusive and expand the circle of ‘we’.
- Power. This session covers the different kinds of power (personal and systemic) and the role power plays in our relationships with others, and the organizations and broader systems we are part of.
This course is part of the Anima Inclusive Management Online Certificate. When you complete all four online certificate courses recognizing skill proficiency in the areas of facilitation, diversity, management and conflict, you will receive the Anima Inclusive Management Certificate in downloadable format.
If you would also like to attend the mastery level in-person course format that is part of the Inclusive Leadership Certificate, you will be eligible for a 25% course discount. Contact us for the discount code.
Dates: Webinars are August 24, 25, 26 and 27, 2021 from 1:00-4:00pm EST
Deadline to Register: August 17, 2021
Location: Online Course hosted through the Anima LMS (you will be sent a link after registration to get into the site).
Fee: $600 USD ($780 CAD tax included).
We keep 10% of spots open for a sliding scale. Please contact us for this option.
Course Faculty: Led by Annahid Dashtgard, Co-Founder Anima Leadership and supported by Mahlon Evans-Sinclair, Diversity and Inclusion Facilitator.
Anima Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds for online courses, however we will offer 50% credit toward any other online courses.
The two-day Deep Diversity® training skillfully integrates the latest research from neuroscience, psychology, prejudice reduction, organizational development and mindfulness with proven practices for sustaining organizational performance. This unique professional development opportunity is experiential and holistic, a challenging yet non-threatening approach to tackling issues of diversity, inclusion and equity. Furthermore, all workshop participants will receive a copy of Deep Diversity®: Overcoming Us vs. Them.
Facilitator Lab (Optional 3rd Day):
After road-testing Deep Diversity® workshops with thousands of people around the world, we are clear that our award-winning workshops are due to the underlying design and facilitation strategies that integrate sociology and anti-discrimination principles with psychology and neuroscience. This optional 3rd day is for educators, trainers and facilitators who want to go “behind the curtain” of the methodology behind Deep Diversity® in order to make their own educational trainings more impactful.
In the Facilitator Lab (optional 3rd day), participants will:
- Understand key workshop design, teaching and facilitation factors that increase the impact of a diversity, inclusion and justice-based workshop;
- Identify four common ‘traps’ that social justice educators, facilitators and activists fall into that unconsciously re-enforce the very problems they are trying to fix.
- How to apply the Deep Diversity® Inclusive Workplace Continuum: Organizational Practices using seven factors for measuring organizational change with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion.
This course is part of the Anima Inclusive Leadership Certificate. When you complete all four in-person certificate courses you will receive a printed gold-embossed certificate recognizing leadership mastery in the areas of facilitation, diversity, management and conflict.
Date: Future in-person course dates will be determined as we learn more about Covid guidelines
Location: 16th Floor, Vantage Venues, 150 King Street West, Toronto
Fee: 2 Days – $1,200 plus HST, or 3 Days – $1,800 plus HST. Catered lunches included.
(20% of our in-person course slots are sliding scale. Please enquire) Please note that there are also invoice and payment by cheque options.
Registration Not Currently Available
Anima Cancellation Policy:
- 6 months or more prior to course: Full refund minus $100 administration fee.
- 3 months to 6 months prior to the course: 75% refund
- 31 days to 90 days: 45% refund.
- 30 days or less: No refund or credit. If you are unexpectedly unable to make the course, contact us about potentially sending a colleague in your place. If you cannot find anybody to substitute we will use your money to support a student or low income participant.
“The Inclusive Management Certificate was a great occasion to learn from the enormous experience of Anima facilitators and to experience their approach in action. The constant self-reflection and practice throughout the modules enabled and encouraged me to try out the strategies presented instantly. I applied something I learned in the course in every meeting, customer conversation or training I’ve led since.”
“Sharing with our supervisors in tandem with DEI work we are putting front and center to our culture work, Deep Diversity was a key piece that our people leaders needed. Everyone who attended from our organization found great value in the forum, content, and people. Thank you! We are excited to be working more with Anima!”
“The Deep Diversity sessions were excellent for my professional development as a leader. It provided me with an opportunity to examine my own biases and beliefs and to extend this understanding to gain a deeper understanding of equity and inclusivity, particularly in creating safe, respectful and supportive working and learning environments for all students and staff. I highly recommend this leadership institute for supervisory officers and principals/vice-principals in school districts.”
“The Anima Team created a safe and welcoming space for the workshop participants to have personal discussions about issues of social power, systemic discrimination and prejudice. The training was inspirational, energizing and engaging; bringing lots of ideas for my professional and personal growth. Thank you :) ”
“We wanted impactful learning in the area of diversity. The Deep Diversity Training with Anima Leadership is powerful and transformative. The way we work with each other and our families has changed in a meaningful way.”
“Anima led our staff through two days of training using the Deep Diversity lens, and I highly recommend it to others. The training was uniquely valuable in building our leadership skills and knowledge in our ongoing work on equity, diversity and anti-oppression. A key outcome was the development of stronger relationships and common understandings so that we can work more effectively together, and with others in our union and the broader community.”
Have questions about the certification process? Contact Anima Leadership for more information.